Inspirational books are meant to uplift as well as entertain. These books do not just require a positive character but the ability to inspire and encourage the readers. The protagonist overcomes adversity or reaches new and high level of understanding within the story that inspires the reader to do the same or in other “inspire” them to do great things, follow their dreams or become a better person. The popular example of this genre is:
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Paulo Coelho's is a Brazilian writer, famous for his inspirational stories. The story tells the mystical story of an Andalusian shepherd boy, Santiago, who yearns to travel, searching a worldly treasure. His quest for treasure will leads him to riches far different, far more satisfying than he ever imagined. His journey teaches the reader mainly about the essential wisdom of listening to the hearts, recognizing opportunity and learning to read the omens (signs) strewn along life's path, and most importantly to follow our dreams.
There is a list of contemporary inspirational novels that are best known for inspirational stories in this genre you must read:
- The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
- The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- Helen Keller: Handicapped Girl by Katharine Elliot Wilkie
- The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
- Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho
- Be God To Yourself by Jean-Yves Crozier
- Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
- Le Divorce by Diane Johnson
- By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coelho
If you have other suggestions for inspirational books, you can share here with the community!